- Health and Human Services
- General Assistance
The General Assistance program provides short-term monetary help to Dubuque County very low income residents in financial crisis.
Persons interested in rent or utility assistance should first contact Community Solutions of Eastern Iowa (part of ECIA) at 1-833-587-8322 before completing a General Assistance application. Community Solutions is the Coordinated Entry agency in Dubuque County for persons in need of rent or utility assistance, and will assist in directing persons to assistance resources. Applications for Dubuque County General Assistance rent or utility assistance program must come through a referral from Coordinated Entry partner agencies.
Persons interested in burial assistance should contact the Dubuque County Veterans Affairs office at (563) 589-7840.
General Assistance Program Areas
- Rent Payment Assistance (but not rental deposits, first month’s rent, or mortgage payments)
- Utility Service Payment Assistance (but not utility deposits or hookup fees)
- Burial Services
General Assistance Administration
Dubuque County’s General Assistance Program is administered by Dubuque County Veterans Affairs department. Hours are 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday through Friday, appointments preferred. Veterans Affairs is the primary contact for General Assistance burial assistance.
Dubuque County Veterans Affairs
36 E 8th Street
Old Jail Building
Dubuque, IA 52001
For more information about the Dubuque County General Assistance policy and guidelines, refer to the Dubuque County General Assistance Guidelines (PDF).
Additional assistance resources may be found by connecting to the United Way 2-1-1 Resource Hotline:
- Call 2-1-1 from a landline or 1-800-244-7431 from a mobile phone
- Refer to the 2-1-1 Resource & Referral Hotline website at the United Way of Dubuque Area Tri-States.
- Search the 2-1-1 Online Resources Database