- Courthouse Security
The Courthouse Security Office seeks to maintain the appropriate levels of security necessary to:
- Protect the integrity of court procedures
- Sustain the rights of individuals before it
- Deter those who would take violent action against the Court or participants in court procedures
- Sustain the decorum of the court
The Dubuque County Courthouse has been equipped with x-ray screening equipment, walk-through metal detection equipment, and hand-held metal detection equipment to intercept and remove individuals and items that may represent a threat to peace, order, and integrity of the court.
No Weapons Allowed
Notices have been posted at all entrances advising that no weapons of any type will be allowed inside the Dubuque County Courthouse.
Courthouse Security Procedures
Individuals entering the Courthouse will be directed by a Courthouse Security Deputy to deposit all personal belongings into a designated basket for inspection. All large items such as coats, briefcases, packages, and purses must be placed into the x-ray machine for inspection.
Cameras have been installed at the Courthouse entrances and throughout the building that will monitor and record movement twenty-four hours a day.
- Knives or box cutters
- Mace or any self-defense weapons
- Any other sharp items - Nail files, scissors, needles, etc.
The use of cell phones and other electronic equipment in the courtrooms is prohibited and subject to seizure. Photography and video equipment are only allowed under the discretion of the Court.