Special Use Permit

A Special Use Permit is required for anyone wishing to use the property in question for a use or structure that is listed as a “Special Permitted Use or Structure” under the parcel’s zoning classification in the Zoning Ordinance. The process for a Special Use Permit is the same as a Variance.

An application is made to the Board of Adjustment for the proposed use or structure. Certified letters notify property owners within 500 feet of the property.

Public Hearing

A Public Hearing is held and the Board of Adjustment makes a final decision. The decision must be signed by the property owners and the applicants (if applicable) in the presence of a Notary. This process takes approximately 30 to 60 days. A Zoning Certificate (Building Permit) is then required for any new structure to be placed on the property.

Application Fee: $150 (plus the cost of certified letters and recording fee)


If you have any questions, please feel free to call the Zoning Office at 563-589-7827.

Special Use Permit & Instructions