Flood Plain Development

Any property must be checked to see if it is lying in a Flood Zone before building. There are specific restrictions for building on the Floodway Fringe. No building may be built in the Floodway.


A Flood Plain Development Permit is required before building or putting any kind of development in the Floodway Fringe. You may need to get a “No Rise” Certificate or Elevation Certificate signed by a licensed surveyor or engineer before a permit will be issued. 

Check with the Dubuque Soil and Water Conservation district if you have any questions:

Office Phone # 563-690-3084
Eric Schmechel eric.schmechel@dubuquecounty.us
John Wiley John.wiley@dubuquecounty.us

Application Fee: $100

Return this application to: 

Dubuque Soil and Water Conservation District
1225 Seippel Road
Dubuque, IA 52002

Permit Applications