Weapons permits may be applied for online with the option to pay using a credit or debit card. There is a convenience fee for all credit or debit card processing or you may opt to pay by cash or check in our office with no additional fee.
Applications may also be submitted using the kiosk in the outer lobby of the Dubuque Law Enforcement Center located at 770 Iowa St. Dubuque, Iowa 52001.
Prior to processing, all applications will require that you provide:
- a photo ID
- proof of residency (a Driver's License or State issued ID used as a photo ID, which was issued at least 30 days prior to the date of application, will satisfy this requirement)
- proof of firearms training if you are applying for a Permit to Carry Concealed. Renewal applications are exempt from the firearms training requirement. You will be prompted to upload this documentation at the time of application.
- a valid email address to communicate the status of your application. You will be notified via email, text message, or voice message whether your application has been approved or denied.
Permits to Carry
- You may submit an application for a Permit to Carry online
- You may check the status of your application online at Application Tracker
A new Permit to Carry requires a fee of $50.00 and is valid for five years from the date of issue.
The Renewal of a current Permit to Carry requires a fee of $25.00 and is valid for five years from the date of issue. Applications for renewals may be submitted anytime from 30 days prior to expiration to 30 days after the expiration of your current permit. The Renewal Permit no longer requires that you provide documentation from a refresher firearms training course or qualification on a firing range. Persons wishing to obtain a renewal who have missed the 60-day renewal period must apply as a new applicant. No new training documentation is required.
A Duplicate permit may be obtained if a valid Permit to Carry has been lost or stolen. This permit requires a fee of $25.00. Permits are issued using the original date of issuance after a complete background check has been completed.
Permits to Acquire
- You may submit an application for a Permit to Acquire online
- You may check the status of your application online at Application Tracker.
A Permit to Acquire requires a fee of $25.00 and is valid for five years from the date of issue. There is no renewal or duplicate process for Permits to Acquire. Applicants requiring a new permit should apply as new.
A person holding a permit to carry need not obtain a separate permit to acquire.
Complete information regarding the law, including the training requirements, can be found on the state’s website.
For more information, please call 563-589-4412.